Thursday, January 24, 2008
screams of perfect agony
Do people get used to that screaming? The screaming you hear on all those taser videos on youtube? Maybe they do. If you read the comments at the bottom of each one, a majority seem to congratulate the police and heap shit on the victim. There's a thesis in that alone I reckon. 'Just do what the police say' they tell us. I don't know how that would have helped that fellow standing next to his shiny 4WD, wife inside, in New Mexico or somewhere like. As best as I could tell he was just standing there wondering what the cop was on about. I was with him - made no sense to me. But boy, did he fucking scream. Like Robert Shaw getting eaten alive. Only more real. All the taser victims scream the same. It's unbe-fucking-lievable. Nails on blackboards ain't in it. One wonders at the cops yelling at them - DO THIS! DO THAT! Jesus Christ - 99% of their brain is focused on screaming, boys. The remaining 1% is struggling to breathe. Never did a punishment so absurdly outweigh the crime that may or may not have been committed.
Just so there's no ambiguity I'll say what should be obvious - tasering is electrocution. When a cop tasers someone he is electrocuting him. No ifs or buts - it's a simple fact.
Here's another simple fact: screaming like that doesn't happen in the world of humans outside of battlefields and torture chambers. And being eaten alive, of course. Hands up all the people who've heard screaming like that in real life? Not me. I've crashed motorcycles, and watched others crash, till I lost count. Mad Max ain't got nothing on me. I spent half my life in workshops and saw extremities cut off and blood run like water. And I never heard screaming like that. These are warfare screams. Torture screams. Getting eaten alive screams.
God help us. The cops in that video carried on like nothing had happened. No, 'Jesus Christ! What the fuck was that?!' Nope, just another day at the office. 'Good for you buddy.' But did they dream afterwards? Did they hear those screams? Did they not ever twig that all those cops they know on stress leave might have a variation of PTSD, which is to say, a shattered mind? You hear enough screaming like that and it'll get you there. It's not natural. That sound is perfectly pitched to hit the reptilian part of your brain that floods your head with fear. Tough guy or no, you can't stop it. They don't play screaming tapes to torture victims for no reason. It's to break them. And cop's brains will do that thing too. The chemicals flooding through their heads will eventually break them. Troops have only 90 days of real combat in them. After that they're no longer tough guys. Only the insane can cope. Cops are no different. Their brains fry just like anyone else's. They know perfectly well that this is true.
And that's not all. There's the hundreds who died from being tasered. Think about that: They Died Screaming. Isn't this the precise definition of the worst death imaginable? Never mind the visceral experience of standing there listening to it - afterwards comes the loop-tape knowledge. This is the knowledge that a man died screaming at your hands. And for nothing. For talking back. For not being able to speak English. For being broke and going off their medication. The only way to deal with knowledge like that is with madness, alcohol, or drugs. Better still, all three.
Humans aren't meant to do this to each other. I say this to police - The people who tell you it's fine are deluded or liars. The only person who can save you from this, is you. You must listen to that voice that is not wrong. Not the bullshit voice that makes self-serving excuses. And then there's that saying - To thine own self be true. It's talking about those two voices. The one that lies and the one that's true. And you do know which is which. The voice in your head that justifies your part in the death of a person who died screaming is obviously bullshit and you know that. Wake up! Say no and hang tough. Otherwise, who are you? Who, or what, will you become?